We have developed a customised excursion product for Stage 4/Year 7 – 8 Science students centred on the topic areas of Forces, Expansion/Contraction and Corrosion, as per the Physical and Chemical World sections of the curriculum (CW4).
School Excursion Inclusions:
- 30 minute session in our private cinema featuring a 10 minute clip on the key subject area (includes animations and interviews shot on the Bridge showcasing the theory taking place in real life)
- 2-3 hour Climb on the Bridge led by our professional Climb Leaders with customised commentary focused around the key subject areas
- 30 minute de brief session in the cinema where students complete an Activity Sheet
- Additional take away activities for the classroom
Science Content Covered:
- We define Tension (T) and Compression (C) and relate it to the context of bridge design
- We explain the various points of (T) and (C) on the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- We explore bridge design and how it is used to control (T) and (C), with various designs covered, including beam, cable stayed and single span arch bridges
- We look at metal in the context of corrosion and we explore the impact of oxygen and moisture on metal in creating corrosion, or rust
- We explore how and where rust in happening on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the measurements undertaken to control/limit this corrosion
- We showcase some innovations that are taking place on the Bridge to control corrosion
Contraction and Expansion
- We explore the impact of heat in creating energy and its impact on a particles’ movement
- We look at how engineers have allowed for contraction and expansion on the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- We explain the impacts that contraction and expansion has on the Bridge
Here’s an excerpt of the video:
- Various Climb types are available to you and range from 2.25 – 3.5 hours.
- Speak to our team to discuss the best option for you.